Monday, February 27, 2017

Then And Now #105: Let's Get Everything "Spic And Span"

Today's post is about Spic And Span , which has been around for many, many years.
I found this old advertisement for it - and would you just LOOK how happy she is to be cleaning her painted walls in her pinafore and her green polka-dotted dress!
Here's another old example of an old box:
 "Cleans Painted Walls, Woodwork, Linoleum"
"Faster, Easier"
"No Rinsing! No Wiping!"
And that's true, actually.
It used to be the only thing I ever used to clean my floors, with my old rag mop and galvanized bucket - you know, the kind that has the cup-like place inside at the top to push your mop down in and squeeze the water out?
As a matter of fact, I still had a box of it under the sink at our old house:
I can't find it anymore. Not at all.
I was kind of bummed when I went looking for it, and saw that it was no longer in the stores.
Maybe that's why it tickled me when I found this measuring cup at a thrift store, complete with a label still attached:
I never added it to my laundry; didn't even know that was a "thing"!
But if I could find the powder, I might get out that old bucket again.
Wouldn't want to use the measuring cup, though - because I don't want to get it wet or wash it, as I'd like to keep that old label intact!
Here are two other old boxes side by side:

They may still make the powder, but they don't sell it around here!
And no, I'm not going to go buying it online, or anything like that.
I just wanted to be able to go into a store and buy it off the shelf, like I used to do.
 Don't think that's gonna happen.
So it comes in a liquid formula, too - and I haven't seen that, either.


If I DO find some, though - I will surely try it!
Because I just always liked it.
I liked the smell of it, and I liked mopping my floor with it.
But a lot of my favorite products have disappeared, and I know I just have to live with that fact.
(But I don't have to LIKE it.)

2 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I used to love the smell of Spic and Span but now it makes me sneeze. Just the pine scent though. It is a great cleaner. I didn't realize you can't find the liquid anymore. I had completely forgotten about the powder! Great and interesting post. Love T

Diane said...

My mother used Spic and Span a lot. I didn't know it was a "laundry" thing either. I'm pretty sure she never used it that way. I think she mainly used it on our basement tiled floor. Interesting post!