Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Plate From Shara, and A Couple Of Other Finds That Feature Disneyland

I bought a souvenir plate recently from Shara over at Monkeybox.
It has depictions of attractions in "Southern California"
I mainly wanted it because it has Disneyland on it, so it goes with my vintage Disneyland plates.
But also because I just get a kick out of it.
 Southern California, like it's a separate state.
I realize California is big, but did they make plates back in 1961 that said "Southern Texas" ( for example) and show only attractions in the southern portion of the state?
I love the plate, mind you - I'm not complaining.
 I'm only saying that I find it amusing.
Shara was so sweet, and she also sent me one of her gorgeous pendants she makes out of dominoes:
How nice was that?? It's so pretty!
And since I mentioned Disneyland, I also wanted to share with you this cute little single shaker, a vintage Disneyland souvenir item, that I found at a thrift store:
Sure, a pair would have been better, but I'll settle for the one, with my Sleeping Beauty Castle on one side and this pretty little gal on the other:
One more thing today - this vintage California scarf, also a thrift shop find:
"Disney Land", it says, with a surely non-authorized little Mickey Mouse on there!
The pictures depict many places and attractions in our state.
So many of these places hold memories for me!

As on the plate, Knott's Berry Farm is included, as well:


I've never found a vintage California scarf before, and it's not in perfect condition, but I love it just the same.
Oh, yes - and while the map may not show everything in precisely the right location (artistic license and all that, and it would have been difficult to achieve perfection on something such as this) - at least the entire state is included!
I'm proud to be a California Girl.

3 comments:

Tami Von Zalez said...

I just ran across another blog post that highlighted those souvenir plates. Seems there are some Pinterest posts that group those types of plates together to make for an interesting wall display.

I am going to keep my eye out for the unusual ones.

Shara said...

What a surprise to see my name in the TITLE! :) I will keep my eye out for unusual Disneyland things for you. I was there when I was 18 months old in about 1968. I have some great old photos in front of the castle. I need to find those! Thanks again for the shout out.

Tina Dawn said...

I like the California scarf, I've never seen one either. They did seem to concentrate on Southern California even on the scarf, though, guess they couldn't figure out what could possibly be going on in the Northern part (such as gold discovery, Confussion Hill, the Redwood Highway, etc.) Great finds! And to answer a comment from my Truckee post, yes, it has been known to snow in California once in a while, otherwise the ski areas would have a hard time getting patrons, and the winter Olympics would have been a dud at Squaw Valley, and the Donner party wouldn't even have even been heard of. But I am sure I have some misconceptions about other states too. Love T