Saturday, March 10, 2012

Then And Now # 86 Van Camp's Pork and Beans

Today's installment of "Then and Now" features a few cute vintage ads from Van Camp's Pork and Beans from 1948:



And this how the can looks today.

I still like these beans. I did have them more often growing up than I do now, though. I mean, weren't they just the quintessential thing to have with hot dogs? And easy to heat up over a campfire or camp stove? These days, there are so many different types and flavors of canned beans to choose from. And beans (all jokes aside) are high in fiber and protein, and very good for you!

6 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Yes indeed, the magical fruit. I love that old can opener! I always have like Pork and Beans. I notice the newer can does not show the piece of pork front and center any more though. Love T

Jennifer D said...

Yep...they went along great with hot dogs. I haven't had Pork and Beans in years.

Paul Duca said...

If you can get B & M in your part of the world, DO SO! Those are TRUE brick oven baked beans--pork and beans are cooked in pots.

Paul Duca said...

Here is a link to one of their 1970's TV commercials, with its memorable "Simple Pleasures" jingle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzinJ4QeHo

Heidi Pocketbook said...

We never had a family picnic without a can of Van Camp's. Ah, memories!

Andy's Attic said...

Oh, my, the year of my birth!! They have been around my whole life and I remember them well as a kid. We always had them with B & M brown bread. Yummy!