Saturday, August 27, 2011

So Small

When I went outside yesterday, Dizzy seemed to be behaving strangely. Couldn't quite put my finger on it - but it seemed more than his usual "I think I will hide down here in this gutter, and I am certain no one will see me here" deal.
But I soon saw that he was playing a game.
A game of cat and mouse.
With this little guy:

Whenever he got close to the poor petrified little thing, it would squeak and squeal in fright - truly begging for it's life.
I just couldn't help but feel sorry for the little pipsqueak - he was so cute! And he reminded me of Little Bit, from the book "So Small", by Ann Rand. I don't have a copy, but Lori still has hers from when we were little, and I remember it well.

You have to admit, this next photo is priceless; "Where in the heck did he go? He was right here a minute ago!"


I wanted to help him, but I didn't want to touch him. You see, I rescued a gopher from a cat when I was a very small child, and the ungrateful thing had the audacity to bite ME - and I had to go have a tetanus shot. So - I watched - and took pictures, and made sure Dizzy didn't get him. He was making his way up our steep rock steps - rather a feat for a wee creature:
Only a couple more to go!
Then he had to rest awhile. I can surely understand why. When I went to check on him, he had decided to take a short nap. ( I snapped this picture before he closed his eyes for little siesta.)
Oh, the perils that await one so small!
But the next time I checked, he was back down on the lowest level - he had come back down the steps! So then I had to get more involved and I helped him get to higher - and let's hope safer - ground.
Little Bit - he was just too cute to sacrifice to Diz.
Believe me, if Dizzy had really wanted him, he'd have been gone before I ever even laid eyes on him!

8 comments:

Andy's Attic said...

Thank goodness cats like to "play" cat and mouse, giving us time to rescue!!!!
Annette

jamie@midcenturymania said...

The photo of Dizzy and the little pipsqueak hiding around the corner is priceless! I think you should make a poster and sell it in the shop.

Good Dizzy...you let the little guy live!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog today while searching for a vintage item.. Love the combo of vintage & cats! (But then, who wouldn't?)

I'm subscribing. :)

Heidi Ann said...

Welcome, Suzanne - So glad you found us!!
Heidi

Candice said...

Dizzy was just doing what comes naturally, but I'm glad he didn't eat that mouse!

Tina Dawn said...

Totally precious story and one of my favorite posts you have ever done. Love T

Sponge Curlers and Cupcakes said...

Omigosh! What a sweetheart you are! Once, my Ollie very proudly brought me a little mouse & all I could do is screech & yell for help. I'm absolutely useless when it comes to those kinds of situations! You turned a situation I myself would have gone into a tizzy over, into a very adorable story in words and pictures. VERY well done & so fun to read. Thanks again for another fun post!

MomWaldsPlace said...

OMCuteAdorableWord!!!