Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Crystalite Christmas

We had one of these Crystalite stars when we were growing up. As with so many other things that hold dear childhood memories, I was so nostalgic for this Christmas star that I set out to find one:
My quest was successful:

Their original boxes are rather the worse for wear. One even had this original paper inside:

Here's is a picture of one of mine:

And here's another "shot in the dark"

One of the original boxes also had an original receipt inside dated 1960.
Since this Betsy McCall paper doll page is from the December 1960 issue of McCall's magazine, I came to my own little conclusion that Betsy, below, is indeed holding a Crystalite star:
Please do not attempt to dissuade me. That's my little conclusion, and I'm sticking to it.

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Betsy has such good taste. I love those stars, and the fact you can make them any color you want by changing the bulb. I have one too somewhere, I should dig it out. Great post. Love T

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Huh, I love it... Never saw one like it before. I think I'd use it all year... =)

yosemite faith said...

i am sure you are correct heidi. very very very cool.

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Wow! I have not seen one like that anywhere. I think it may become an obsession. I NEED one NOW! Where did you find that? Please don't tell me it was at one of our local haunts or I'll probably flip. Love, love, love the lovely trees in your windows. They make me smile every drive-by. Chuck loves them too. See you soon.