Friday, October 29, 2010

Then And Now # 74 Wrigley's Gum

Good old Wrigley's Gum - Spearmint shown here in an advertisement from 1910:

And here in an Halloween-themed ad from 1961:

One with a recipe from 1962:

And as it appears "Now":
And then there's Doublemint - here in an advertisement from 1930 :
And one from 1975:
(I couldn't find an ad with the Doublemint Twins - I'll add one later if I ever come across one!)
And Doublemint now:
I'm funny about gum - the only kind I really like these days is cinnamon flavored. When I was a kid, I think I liked Juicy Fruit, and those striped fruit-flavored ones. And yet, if I want some gum and somebody offers it, I'll usually take whatever they've got!

5 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I am a bubble gum person. It doesn't stick to my teeth, I like the flavor, and you can do something with it besides chew it. I used to like Juicy Fruit too, also Dentine. I don't chew gum as often as I once did, but I like it when I'm in the mood. Love T

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

I found a carefully saved gum wrapper from this company in an old 1930's scrapbook. So charming. I had no idea people cooked with it!

jamie@midcenturymania said...

I loved Clove and Black Jack gum, but I'm with you Heidi. If someone offers it I'll take it, any flavor.

Susan from The T-Cozy said...

Yum, I love gum! Great old ads!

yosemite faith said...

i like cinnamon gum also. i also like beemans - it is good for upset tummies. i suffer from motion sickness and we traveled lots by car when i was small and so my mom always had it on hand. remember the chains made from wrappers? i had friends that made them but i never knew how. i have seen little purses made from those chains of gum wrappers.