Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Vintage Bathing Suits

Well, at least I THINK this pretty pin-up has on a bathing suit! Anyway, she's cute and sexy and I wanted to include her.
From a 1936 Esquire magazine:
Betty Grable, 1940's:
A trio of Catalina suits from 1944:

Nice Catalina suit! From 1950:

This one is from a 1956 Holiday magazine. The text with the picture reads: "Waikiki Beach is the warm and suitable setting for this charming, strapless suit which derives it's bold, exciting pattern from Pacific islanders native tapa cloth designs. The accompanying beachcoat has become almost a necessity, due to longer hours spent on the beaches today" (I have written about tapa cloth before, in this post.)
And the text with this one (from the same magazine) reads: "On the startling semicircle of Copacabana beach, Rio de Janeiro, a blond Brazilian wears this fitted, elasticized suit in bold, colorful checks, accompanied by a useful matching beach stole - stylish combination for a stylish figure on a stylish beach."
The next two are from Seventeen magazine, circa 1968. That's Colleen Corby on the left- she's another one of the models that I always liked so much- and she was EVERYWHERE back in the 60's and 70's. Sorry I don't know the other model!
And Colleen on the left again here, with another Sorry-I-don't-know-her-name:

That's it for today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the 40s swimsuits...my mom looked like that. i will have to dig out photos and post them.
women seemed so much more glamourous then.
i especially enjoyed the photo of betty grable...every soldier's dream girl.
thanks for the reminder of my mom & dad's era.
karla

Colette said...

Yes! I thought Colleen Corby was the coolest (back "in the day")!