Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Room , Circa 1970!

I don't have very many pictures of my room - but here's one that I did find. I forgot I had this. I should have included this photo in the post I did about antiquing furniture. The green desk and chair you see here were painted by my sister. She was already out of the house and married by this time, but she hadn't been able to take her desk yet, so I was using it. She also painted a lamp and matching bottle/vase green with colorful flowers, and made a pad for the chair out of flowered fabric that matched - and she entered the whole set in the county fair.
On the desk, some of my favorite possessions: my first record album (Sounds of Silence) is leaning against the wall, my Little Bunny Kiddle with orange hair, my big-eyed Margaret Keane postcard, a little cardboard jewelry box, a pretty box of Kleenex (I STILL like pretty Kleenex boxes!) And on the wall, I had a Zodiac poster, and I think the owl notepad holder was probably another Counterpoint item. There's a Seventeen magazine on the floor, along with a tiny wicker wastebasket and a little patchwork pillow I made. And do you see the flower calendar hanging on the wall? Well, I kept it. Yep, found it packed away in a box.
And while I'm at it - this piggy bank is something I had way back then, also. I just found him packed away in a box, too.

I've mentioned before that I really like blue and green together.
Just another little one of Heidi's blasts from the past.
You can see the problem here, right? It started way back then - when I really like something, I don't want to part with it.
Sheesh.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

how cool is this!!!! a kodak moment - yes. i love your little piggy - i have never seen one like it and that is saying a lot since many of johns sisters used to collect pigs - i am forbidden to send them any more pig items as they have soooo many. i hate to throw away passed calendars and how wonderful you have your 1970. that is the year i married and i found my dads appt book which served as my moms calendar from 1970 and my wedding day was crossed off to keep it free. enough about me (ugh) - memories pressed between the pages of my mind......
yosemite faith

Tina Dawn said...

And who would have thought that 39 years later your sister would be sitting on that chair looking at a photo of her antiqued furniture on your blog on her computer sitting on that same desk? I love your little piggy. I used to collect similar banks. I still have the bottle/vase I painted with the flowers. I didn't save everything, having moved far away from home at a young age, but I saved what I could, and that was one thing, plus the desk and chair! Love T

Heidi Ann said...

T - I LOVE it that you are sitting at that very same desk as you read my blog! And Faith - I LOVE that my blog jogs your memories, and that you share them with us. That's probably my favorite thing about my blog - when readers comment because something I wrote or pictured brings up a memory for them. Keep 'em coming, everybody!

yosemite faith said...

back at you heidi - peace love yosemite the great lakes and rhonda (plyglr) faith

Anthony said...

Far out, Heidi!
I'm loving all of the groovy little details in your room! And it's crazy that you STILL have that 1970 flowered wall calendar and the piggy bank. Blue/green is also MY favorite color combo!

I wish I had an old photo of my room in 1970... Of course, it was a nursery back then!

The room of my teen years had posters of the Thompson Twins, Culture Club, Madonna, etc. ALL OVER the walls. And you would've also found issues of Star Hits magazine, several vintage clothing items (bought at the local thrift store, natch), my awesome bright red ghetto blaster w/cassette-tape player and lots more totally radical 80s STUFF! It'd be great to have a Polaroid of it.

You know, this is making me want to rummage through all of my boxes of old photos. Maybe, I just might find something worth sharing...

Heidi Ann said...

Alrighty then, Anthony - if you DO want to share something - drop me a line!

Anthony said...

It's me, again!

Heidi, did you happen to see the post I did about my late cat, Henry? It was inspired by YOURS about Dizzy, so I gave you a shout-out and included a link to that post. :)

Just thought you'd like to know!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I love this look back at your room. It's like a time capsule. I remember those colors and style so well. I never throw away calendars! Glad you kept yours. Twyla

jungle dream pagoda said...

Dontcha wish you could punch in and look at the goodies on the desk? I do!
Swooooon,a Margaret Keane card!!!!!

Unknown said...

I loved this post, Heidi. This must have been how your room looked when I first came over to your house. And I especially loved that Tina's sitting at that desk reading your blog too. How you must have missed your big sister when she married and moved away. I know I missed mine. Love, Deb